Here I am in Seoul, and I’m fittin’ to go have a walkabout in Itaewon.
When I first came to Korea some fifteen years ago, as a sergeant in the US Army, Itaewon was a rather tatty pleasure quarter outside the gates of the main US base, and with the base’s closure it’s now well on its way to becoming something else (though what that “something else” is is not quite clear to me yet, and may not be any clearer to the people who live here).
At any rate, I’m going to go have a poke around for a good few hours, but then I’m more or less at loose ends until my very highly planned and scheduled time begins tomorrow morning. If any of my Korean readers happens to be free and you’re up for a chat over tea or a quick 맥주, let me know in comments here — I’ll be checking in at intervals.
- On the survivors’ bond 1 December 2013
- Commonplace: Bookchin on the “nuclear unit” of a properly constituted politics 22 November 2013
- My back pages: Morning and the man who made me 30 October 2013
- Statement on collaboration with Russian institutions 16 October 2013
- “Against the smart city” on CBC’s Spark this week 4 October 2013
Being discussed now
- AG on Commonplace: Bookchin on the “nuclear unit” of a properly constituted politics
- Extenuating Circumstances on Data-driven, realtime advertising: The aura of approach
- Kurt on Commonplace: Bookchin on the “nuclear unit” of a properly constituted politics
- Alper.nl on “Against the smart city” now available for purchase in Kindle
- Lab404 - Laboratório de Pesquisa em Mídia Digital, Redes e Espaço on “Against the smart city” teaser