In which I admit to being a l4m3r
How lame am I? So lame, apparently, that I now discover gorgeous pop music primarily from…television commercials. This is admittedly some kind of new nadir for hipness, beyond even the feared Hilfiger threshold; nevertheless, I defy you to find any of the following anything less than thoroughly charming:
– Brazilian Girls, “Lazy Lover” (Axe Body Wash, a product I devoutly hope is neither purchased nor used by anyone within two degrees of separation of me.)
– The Icicles, “Sugar Sweet” (Motorola)
– Joy Zipper, “Go Tell The World” (Nike)
– The Speedies, “Let Me Take Your Photo” (HP)
– Stereolab, “OLV 26” (can’t remember, sorry)
This doesn’t even count the times I’ve heard the increasingly ubiquitous Goldfrapp turn up on the soundtrack, let alone utter anomalies like hearing Mark E. Smith-uh shilling for Nissan (the uncompromising and curiously apropos “Blindness”). About all I can deduce from the above is that, for those of us d’un certain age, McCann, Grey and their ilk are likely to function better than Pitchfork as a means of discovering new music. Sigh.