Wow, that was fun: just a wonderful alignment of audience, topic, venue and panel chemistry. In choosing “schizogeography” as his point of departure, Mark was asking what happens to Situationist practices like the dérive (and, more importantly, the intentions behind them) in cities that have been comprehensively networked, thoroughly mapped, and decisively brought beneath the umbra of Empire. This particular choice of topic was, happily and not at all coincidentally, raw meat for Jan and I, and we tore into it with a certain relish. Or so it seemed from the stage, anyway.
This is the second year in a row that speaking at Conflux has – no other way to put it – left me glowing. It’s an amazing feeling to come off a talk and just know from the faces and the voices around you that you did good. Kudos galore to Christina and the rest of the Glowlab team for knocking it out of the park yet again, and many, many thanks to Mark and Jan for being the perfect co-conspirators. I’m super-bummed to have missed Régine and my main man Kevin Slavin by something less than 24 hours – probably literally crossed paths with them at JFK – but such is life.
Now. Day after tomorrow, I’m doing an Everyware talk over lunch at Yale Law School’s Information Society Project – if you happen to be in New Haven on Wednesday, why not swing by?
Adam Greenfield on TwitterMy Tweets
- A tale of three cities, or: The smart city as will and category error 7 September 2017
- US book tour dates, Fall 2017 (rolling updates) 27 July 2017
- The extended Acknowledgments 25 July 2017
- An index, 2017 4 March 2017
- Radical Technologies: The Design of Everyday Life, now available for pre-order 9 December 2016
Being discussed now
- Dark Matter | Ian Fitzpatrick on The City Is Here For You To Use: (very) provisional bibliography
- dmf on A tale of three cities, or: The smart city as will and category error
- Sketching From Ideas to Material – Near Future Laboratory on Providence in the FAIL of a Sparrow
- Upcoming Talks, Crits, Lectures – Near Future Laboratory on Update: Paris event added to fall schedule
- multibabirel.ch on On the ground running: Lessons from experience design