An open letter to the One Laptop Per Child program
I am almost certainly not alone in being interested in learning where (and more importantly, to whom) my donated laptop is shipped, and what the recipient winds up doing with it.
Accordingly, I urge you to provide for some way to connect OLPC donors with recipients, à la the Kiva microcredit program. With each machine having both a unique serial number and the inherent ability to connect with the net, I would imagine this would be technically trivial.
Surely this will help you tell the vastly more important human stories lying underneath the superficial narrative of technology transfer – which, in turn, can only motivate more people to give.
Very sincerely yours,
Adam Greenfield on TwitterMy Tweets
- Can you smell what I’m cooking? 6 August 2016
- On the Master Bullshit Matrix 16 April 2016
- A brief note on “commoning” 2 April 2016
- On counter-hegemony, or: “I got it! We’ll have them write hit songs.” 24 March 2016
- Further notes on the quantified self 28 February 2016