Architecture in Helsinki
…is something Nurri and I will be seeing a whole lot more of: I’ve accepted a role as Head of Design Direction with Nokia’s design staff, with a remit for the service and user interface domain, and will be moving there in August.
It’s kind of a plum gig, as it would have had to be to lure me away from the life and the city I love. I’ll be working on some terribly exciting and important problems, with people for whom I have a tremendous amount of admiration (and in many cases personal fondness of long standing), in a context where our efforts together might actually make a difference.
Needless to say, this is not the kind of move one contemplates lightly. As it happens, though, we both fell in love with Helsinki when we spoke at Aula two summers ago, and have often discussed spending more time there. So when this incredible opportunity came along, I can fairly say I jumped at it. It just felt like the stars were aligning, you know?
I have many people to thank – you know who you are – without whose efforts none of this would be possible, or would be nearly as enticing. And, of course, a big stack of obligations and commitments to discharge before moving, including finishing this book I’m writing. It’s obviously going to be a hectic couple of months.
Something tells me, though, that for most of that time I’m going to be sporting a big, stupid grin. I cannot wait to see what happens next.
Adam Greenfield on TwitterMy Tweets
- On the Master Bullshit Matrix 16 April 2016
- A brief note on “commoning” 2 April 2016
- On counter-hegemony, or: “I got it! We’ll have them write hit songs.” 24 March 2016
- Further notes on the quantified self 28 February 2016
- A timely caution from Atelier Populaire, May 1968 26 February 2016
Being discussed now
- Notas sobre el auto de Google – Gorditos y Bonitos on Weighing the pros and cons of driverless cars, in context
- Critical Algorithm Studies Reading List – Stratelligence on Uber, or: The technics and politics of socially corrosive mobility
- Nokia: Culture will out « Adam Greenfield’s Speedbird – josschuurmans.com (English) on Nokia: Culture will out
- Towards a MySpace Urbanism? | The Public Matters on The long here and the big now
- niaveidiot on A brief note on “commoning”