Architecture in Helsinki
…is something Nurri and I will be seeing a whole lot more of: I’ve accepted a role as Head of Design Direction with Nokia’s design staff, with a remit for the service and user interface domain, and will be moving there in August.
It’s kind of a plum gig, as it would have had to be to lure me away from the life and the city I love. I’ll be working on some terribly exciting and important problems, with people for whom I have a tremendous amount of admiration (and in many cases personal fondness of long standing), in a context where our efforts together might actually make a difference.
Needless to say, this is not the kind of move one contemplates lightly. As it happens, though, we both fell in love with Helsinki when we spoke at Aula two summers ago, and have often discussed spending more time there. So when this incredible opportunity came along, I can fairly say I jumped at it. It just felt like the stars were aligning, you know?
I have many people to thank – you know who you are – without whose efforts none of this would be possible, or would be nearly as enticing. And, of course, a big stack of obligations and commitments to discharge before moving, including finishing this book I’m writing. It’s obviously going to be a hectic couple of months.
Something tells me, though, that for most of that time I’m going to be sporting a big, stupid grin. I cannot wait to see what happens next.
Adam Greenfield on TwitterMy Tweets
- Architetti Roma interview 25 September 2015
- Medialab Katowice interview 23 September 2015
- “Gee, Officer Krupke”: A close reading in the governmentality literature 20 September 2015
- Bartlettizing, 25 November 16 September 2015
- Untitled RUIN liner notes, 2015 24 July 2015
Being discussed now
- Greenfield appointed new Head of Design Direction | Microsoft Devices Blog on Architecture in Helsinki
- Setting a research program [Valle post #two] | Ivan Heitmann on On Adaptive Ecologies
- » Uber i bezakonje „ekonomije deljenja“ on Uber, or: The technics and politics of socially corrosive mobility
- otrops.com on On the ground running: Lessons from experience design
- Tom Chatfield on What Apple needs to do now