I’m not sure why Rick Poynor is picking a fight with me
By taking this one quote, very much out of context, he’s making it seem as if I’m somehow arguing against the very thing I’ve spent much of my career trying to support, which is the central role of the trained designer in improving user experience. He also seems to believe I would somehow underwrite the essential vacuity of the consultant class, when nothing could be further from the truth.
I’m upset at this sort of cherry-picking simply because it’s intellectually dishonest, of course. But more broadly, the entire piece portrays Poynor as some kind of Lone Gunslinger fighting the good fight, when the reality is that there are plenty of people struggling right alongside him to achieve the same ends.
For the record (though it will seem laughably redundant to anyone who knows me well, like insisting I really do like Citroëns, or gin and tonics, or Jane Jacobs): I regard “innovation” as an all-but-meaningless buzzword, “design thinking” as weak sauce indeed, and design itself as an indispensible desideratum in the genesis of humane products, systems and services. As I have fought and fought hard for these values, publicly, prominently, and at not-insignificant cost to my career and prospects, I very much resent any implication that I have ever either believed or acted any differently.
UPDATE: Ah, sorry. For those of you who don’t know who Rick Poynor is: among critics of graphic design, he’s definitely counted one of the usual suspects.
Adam Greenfield on TwitterMy Tweets
- The mission is terminated. 18 June 2020
- «Окей, бумер»: ForbesLife Russia interview, December ’19 6 December 2019
- Reminder to self 31 October 2019
- Excavating the meshwork 27 October 2019
- UPDATED: Politiken Byrum interview, May 2019 11 May 2019
Being discussed now
- Critical Algorithm Studies: a Reading List – MCB on Uber, or: The technics and politics of socially corrosive mobility
- Interface Critique – Words In Space on The City Is Here For You To Use: 100 easy pieces
- History of the Urban Dashboard on Two recent interviews
- pseudsweden on Shaping Cities contribution, “Of Systems and Purposes: Emergent technology for the skeptical urbanist”
- Mutual Aid in London: A Cautionary Tale – Freedom News on Preliminary notes to a diagram of Occupy Sandy