Good morning! As I promised/warned you back in February, it’s been a good few months since I had much of anything to say here, but I find myself (perhaps unsurprisingly) refreshed by the returning of the sun to Helsinki. Accompanied as it has been by gentler air and the first lovely croci breaching soil, it’s had a marked effect on my mood and, in turn, sense of the possible.
We can finally spend more time outside for its own sake, rather than resorting to the grim rush between buildings that characterizes the winter half of the year. Poke around in streets we’ve never explored, take a little cava on the Esplanade, that kind of thing. You’d be amazed how much of a difference that makes…or maybe you wouldn’t be.
At any rate. There’s stuff in the works. Of course I’m dying to share it with you, but the appropriate moment hasn’t quite yet arrived, so for the time being I’m going to offer the below in lieu of anything more substantive.
I’m afraid what follows is nothing but the blog equivalent of a clip show, nor will it contain even the slightest surprise for anyone who’s been following my work over the past few years. Nevertheless, in the aggregate these links should give you a distinct flavor of the thing that comes next for me:
If you’re not satisfied by this kind of rehashing — and who, really, could blame you? — why not come see me at FutureEverything in Manchester next month. I’ll be curating a showcase of urbanist iPhone apps and, if plied with the proper substances, may well be more forthcoming about what the future holds. Until Manchester, then?
Adam Greenfield on TwitterMy Tweets
- Home Futures contribution: Just what is it that makes today’s homes so different, so appalling? 8 November 2018
- Into the darkness 4 November 2018
- A handle for my Brompton, a headache for degrowth 22 October 2018
- Shaping Cities contribution, “Of Systems and Purposes: Emergent technology for the skeptical urbanist” 27 September 2018
- AG on Moscardi, now in FOAM 51 23 September 2018
Being discussed now
- August C. Bourré (@FishSauce) on Into the darkness
- #ACCELERATE MANIFESTO for an Accelerationist Politics – SubSense on Can you smell what I’m cooking?
- Sentiers Media on Shaping Cities contribution, “Of Systems and Purposes: Emergent technology for the skeptical urbanist”
- gcerceau on Shaping Cities contribution, “Of Systems and Purposes: Emergent technology for the skeptical urbanist”
- August C. Bourré (@FishSauce) on A place for antiheroic technology