Hey hey! We’re back in HEL for a few hours, at the tail end of a bad jag of travel: two conferences and two additional speaking appearances on two continents in two weeks. (And you wondered why I hadn’t been writing here.) Thanks to everyone at AT&T and Sonae; to swift & steady Claudio; to my good friends at Nordkapp and all the participants in last weekend’s Touchscapes workshop; and especially to Anab, Michelle, Juha and Sarah for sharing some quality AMS time with us.
Stand by for some thoughts on the ethics of making do and adaptive reuse; appropriate and mistaken approaches to serving “emerging markets” at the “bottom of the pyramid”; and some advice from a speaker’s perspective on how (and how not) to organize conferences and other events.
On this week’s agenda: a talk and mini-walkshop in Oulu, part of the Second Open Ubiquitous City Seminar, prep for a speaking appearance in Berlin next week and the Barcelona Systems/Layers walkshop week after that (!).
Adam Greenfield on TwitterMy Tweets
- A tale of three cities, or: The smart city as will and category error 7 September 2017
- US book tour dates, Fall 2017 (rolling updates) 27 July 2017
- The extended Acknowledgments 25 July 2017
- An index, 2017 4 March 2017
- Radical Technologies: The Design of Everyday Life, now available for pre-order 9 December 2016
Being discussed now
- yusni on “Against the smart city” now available for purchase in Kindle
- kimanthekithika on VR: I’m frankly surprised they admitted this out loud
- Dark Matter | Ian Fitzpatrick on The City Is Here For You To Use: (very) provisional bibliography
- dmf on A tale of three cities, or: The smart city as will and category error
- Sketching From Ideas to Material – Near Future Laboratory on Providence in the FAIL of a Sparrow